A Challenge for Everyone!
The #FreeSpiritCoatStory is an awesome contest with great prizes, and it’s perfect for The Confident Stitch and our customers! Why, you may ask? Because, just like The Confident Stitch, it includes quilting AND garment-making!
Plus, Free Spirit is awarding valuable prizes! Ending up with a gorgeous quilted coat that fits you like a dream is already a pretty great prize, however the first-place prize is valued at $1,500, second-place is $775, and third-place is $400!
What is it?
I have included the basic contest rules below. You have until the end of May to finish your coat (plenty of time!).
This contest is challenging because quilters may lack garment-making skills, and garment-makers may lack quilting skills. If you’re a unicorn and excel at both, you won’t need my help. But, if you’re a mere mortal and you want to win the contest, stick with me!
I'll help you make your own!
To help you make your own beautiful coat, I’m going to chronicle my sewing/quilting process on video.
In my video I will cover:
- Fabric selection
- Using the Quiltsmart printed interfacing
- Sewing and binding the jacket
- Installing snaps
My instructional video will be posted to The Confident Stitch YouTube channel on February 20th, 2022!
We have a gorgeous variety of FreeSpirit fabrics in stock. As a cool toned person I’ve decided to go the blue/purple/teal route.
The Colorful Coneflowers QC in Amethyst was my main inspiration. From there I selected other fabrics that fit into the same color story. I also included the Kaffe Fassett Shot Cotton in Opal, because it acts as a solid, and will give the busier patterns some room to breathe. Find these FreeSpirit fabrics – and many others – by clicking here.
QuiltSmart Coat Packs
As mentioned, I’m going to use the Clamshell Coat Pack fusible printed interfacing to make my jacket. We carry a total of six, gorgeous Quiltsmart Coat Pack. Click here to get a closer look!
I hope you decide to enter the contest! I look forward to doing this project together!
You can learn more about the #FreeSpiritCoatStory contest on their website, but here are the basics:
- Pick up a Grainline Tamarack Jacket Pattern, your favorite QuiltSmart Coat Pack, and an assortment of current FreeSpirit quilting cottons.
- Make your quilted coat by May 31, 2022.
- Post your totally unique quilted coat and inspiration story to your personal Facebook or Instagram account using this very important hashtag: #FreeSpiritCoatStory and tag @theconfidentstitch (or @yourlocalquiltshop).
This contest is open to US and Canada only. The challenge dates: October – May 31, 2022. Winners will be announced via FreeSpirit Fabrics social media platforms by JUNE 14, 2022.
In order to enter, you must*:
1) Post a photo or video of your coat by May 31st, 2022 via Instagram OR Facebook and use #FreeSpiritCoatStory and tag @theconfidentstitch (or @yourlocalquiltshop).
2) In your photo/video post, share a short story (text or video) about the inspiration for your coat and your experience making it.
My full video tutorial is now available on YouTube, watch now and let me know what you think!